We have a winner!
Maestro John Page and the judges are thrilled to announce the 2021 Young Artist Competition winner:
Congratulations to Vincent Xiao, piano, the 2021 winner of the PSO’s Young Artist Competition.
“Vincent was chosen for his large range of colors, moods, and many varied voicings which created an impressive, dramatic performance.” – John Page, Music Director
Below you can watch his winning video entry where he performs piano concerto No. 2 in c minor, Op. 18, I. Moderato, by Sergei Rachmaninoff.
2. Place: Jaehyun Park, violin
Honorable Mention for Musicality: Brian Son, violin
How to apply:
- print the application here: Young-Artist-Competition 2021 and send completed form by regular mail, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please put Young Artist Competition in the subject line)
- Submit video link of contestant with accompaniment
- Sealed letter of recommendation from current or most recent instructor (email from instructor is acceptable)
- $25 non-refundable application fee made out to Portsmouth Symphony Orchestra (application fee can be waived; if in need please contact PSO)
Applicant must perform a single movement or equivalent (approximate guideline: 8-12 minutes) of a concerto with standard orchestra. The orchestral accompaniment must be available on IMSLP. Please email with questions about these requirements.
Postmarked or emailed no later than Friday, April 23rd, 2021, to:
Portsmouth Symphony Orchestra Att: Competition
PO Box 8391, Portsmouth, NH 03802
All video submissions will be viewed by a panel of judges, and the winner will be selected, notified, and announced on May 9th, 2021.
Pictured is 2019-2020 winner Maxine Park.