- String quartet (two violins, viola, cello)
- String trio (one each: violin, viola, cello)
- String quintet (two violins, viola, cello, bass)
- Brass quintet (two trumpets, french horn, trombone, tuba)
- Flute quintet
- Wind quintet (flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, french horn)
The “Star Search” informance allows the school to pick soloists from their students, for the orchestra to accompany.
- School identifies up to 3 soloists
- Soloist sends possible repertoire to be assessed for orchestral accompaniment
- PowerPoint will fill in information about the solo such as time period, composer’s life, other tidbits
- PSO fills in with other music if necessary
The “Youth Chamber” informance features our MY PSO chamber players and could include:
- Explanation of musical techniques
- Features high school chamber players
- Chamber Music performed from the master repertoire
- Introduce musicians and instruments
- Educator/Narrator also there
The “Play Along” informance is the ultimate interactive experience for a young school orchestra. Members of the PSO will perform along with your orchestra and fill it out to make a fully interactive experience with the rest of the school.
- School Music Director sends music they are working on to PSO
- PSO players arrive and have a short rehearsal with school orchestra
- Combined Orchestra performs for school along with the combined piece(s)
The “Young People’s Concert” informance is the full orchestral experience and includes:
- Introduce the Orchestra
- Main Selection – a musical orchestral gem, often with current movie music
- Secondary Selection – introducing classical music and explaining some of the main “secrets”
- “Meet the Instruments” – instruments up close and personal, many times with the chance to play them yourself!
To inquire about the “Young People’s Concert” Informance for your school, please email the Executive Director for more information.
All MY PSO informances are geared to last approximately 45 minutes to an hour in length. All concerts can also include a PowerPoint to give a multimedia boost to the Informance experience.
Seacoast Flute Ensemble
PSO Young Artist Concerto Competition
The Portsmouth Symphony Orchestra is pleased to offer a Concerto Competition for instrumentalists. Now in its eighth year, the competition gives an outstanding young instrumentalist the chance to perform with the orchestra during our end-of-season concert each year.
MyPSO Youth Chamber Music Coaching
The PSO offers young talented string players a chance to participate in chamber music coaching by principal players in the PSO. Players are chosen based on private teacher recommendation. Please have your teacher email for more details.